Wednesday, September 15

Boys will be boys

This is comedy... I can't believe he actually got arrested.

I remember some of my Arab friends telling me that if guys harassed girls in Saudi and got caught, they'd get their heads shaven and pictures in the papers as reprimands. It's actually a pretty serious problem in many parts of the world, probably intensified by public separation of unrelated males and females in many Muslim countries. When I go back to the motherland, it is impossible to go out without one of my cousins or aunts or uncles with me.. if there is no male with us the harassment is ridiculous. I mean I know I look good.. but they bother everyone. It's not uncommon to hear a slap and cursing in a crowded area - invariably some slimeball pinched an arse or something. My mother has told me of stories of women in full burqua and having their arses pinched only to turn around and find out the offender is a son or brother or something.

I always dress traditionally when I am in the motherland - it is infinitely more comfortable than Western clothes, especially in the heat. I often see local girls trying to look Western or modern in tight ass pants and shirts.. and even tight versions of traditional dress and am embarrassed for them because of all the stares they receive from the men. It's an interesting phenomenon - the men are more aggressive and make you feel uncomfortable even if you're fully covered in loose clothing in the East but in the West you can wear a belt as a skirt and a tubetop and not be made to feel nearly as uncomfortable. Maybe in the latter case that's because you're soliciting the attention? I think it has more to do with the taboo-ness of sex and it goes back to wanting what you can't have.. or never have. That said, I've heard some shocking stories about underground activities.. but they are so perverse and just sad that I don't want to believe they're true. They probably are though.. I'm just naive.