Thursday, September 23

Ah, the Irony

I am increasingly impressed by recently elected Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. I watched his interview on The Charlie Rose Show and was really moved by his humble demeanor and his breadth of knowledge. When he was India's Finance Minister, he famously quoted Victor Hugo: "No power on Earth can stop an idea whose time has come." His interview was peppered with a great deal of literary quotes, and he spoke like a man with great reverence of history. In my opinion, the best thing a leader can do is learn from history and consider these lessons in taking fateful decisions.

Something that was discussed in the interview really struck me. Dr. Singh was born and raised in a village near Lahore, in what is now Pakistan. Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf was born in Delhi. I don't quite know how to express my thoughts on this, but can only confirm my profound love of irony.