Sunday, November 21

Rambles


I know I've bitched and moaned about SUVs before, but that tirade was directed towards the operator rather than the vehicle itself. I think they're wasteful, but I'm a hypocrite in my condemnation as my father drives one (not a Hummer). That said, I think that the FUH2 website is pretty funny, and Mira took this picture in its honor. The driver found it as amusing as we did and was laughing as he posed for his 75mph picture.

I had a great weekend. My old college roommate, Mira, and I went to Washington DC, which is about 200 miles from my house. Despite this reasonable distance, the total mileage of our trip was 596.6 miles. What, you might ask, could two reasonably respectable young ladies possibly be doing to rack up such great distances? I can't answer that question in its entirety because I don't really know. We got lost. Very very lost in and around that freaking city. I made more U-turns this weekend than John Kerry during his tenure as Senator (according to Karl Rove, anyway). We didn't get lost on a leg trying to, say, find some obscure place in Virginia. In fact, between our arrival and departure, we didn't travel much past the Arlington National Cemetary in Virginia and Silver Spring, Maryland in the other direction. I'd say the majority of our miles were spent within Washington DC's city limits. It takes a special genius to get hopelessly lost in a city that is largely organized according to a basic grid with lettered and numbered streets. I volunteer that both Mira are I are kin to this special breed, evidenced by the fact that between the two of us, we took nine pairs of shoes for just one night and an afternoon. Two of these nine pairs are actually suitable for walking. In our collective wisdom, we decided to travel to an unfamiliar city without a road map, and thought we'd be able to figure out an address with our astute powers of deduction. We were right idiots trying to find our way around what felt like Escher's Relativity.



On many occasions, while I would heartily be thinking to myself that we're definitely going in the right direction, that it feels right, Mira would pipe up with: 'Uh, Apple, I think we're going in the totally opposite direction from where we want to be.' Needless to say, it was a very long night.

I'm going to go nurse my stomach, which is sore from laughing. I'm absolutely knackered as I haven't slept more than a total 5 hours since Thursday. Peace out.