Thursday, November 11

Arafat

I've been wanting to flesh out my thoughts on Arafat. First, I want to say he's an old man, and in the last days of his life and in the hours after his death, the vultures that constitute our media revealed themselves for the animals they are. I thought about this for awhile - why am I so offended by the way they spoke of his impending death; and after his death, of his life? Is it because of my personal bias? Maybe. But then, I never really supported Arafat as an asset to the Palestinian cause. I asked myself, 'What if it was Sharon?' - would I be so offended at the crass handling of his life and death then? I'd be pissed if I had to listen to an editorialization of his legacy, but my personal view of him doesn't change the fact that many would be mourning his death. This may seem incredibly provincial, but Arafat was a sick old man. Let him die in peace. I don't know what it is, but I've been raised to believe that an old man on his death bed deserves some reverence, if not for respect of life, then for his family's sake. Even though Suha Arafat is less than graceful. But especially if it is someone who has spent his life fighting for something he believes in. At least respect that whether you agree with the cause or not, if you hate everything about him. I guess you wouldn't respect that if you hate him. But does my sentiment reflect my support of what he has done? Not necessarily, he has cost the Palestinians a great deal.

I also think his passing is the end of an era of leaders. Now, we have politicians. For better or worse, he was a leader. The kind of support he has after the his amassing of millions speaks volumes about him. Or perhaps, of his supporters. He walked away from a compromise that would have cemented his place in history as a prolific leader and the father of a Palestinian State because it would have undermined the (his?) struggle. That may be read as he benefitted from the plight of Palestinians, something I'm not prepared to argue is untrue. Or, maybe he wasn't prepared to stop short of what he felt he, and they deserved.

I really don't know what to think. People die everyday, people who have led lives that are much more remarkable than Arafat's. But today, Arafat's life and death is being used as a commodity by the media, and for political mileage by politicians who, despite all Arafat's shortcomings, will never live to even realize what it means to fight for something you believe in. In a few days, I'll probably go back to thinking of him as an obstacle to peace, but for now, the end of an era deserves a moment of reflection.