Friday, November 12

Question

What is the difference between the implications of prohibiting abortion and requiring women to wear burqas?

My primary argument against a law requiring that women wear hijaab and burqa is that this is a personal decision for a woman. If it is mandated by law, women are responding to the laws of man rather than the laws of God and thus the point of personal interpretation and responsibility is lost. I won't win any points because I covered my hair to avoid getting arrested. In effect, such a law undermines the very nature of the faith as a personal relationship. No one else would lose or benefit regardless of my choice, so I don't know why there is interference in the first place.

So, if a girl wants an abortion but doesn't get one because it is illegal, does this bode any better for her or society? Does her decision indicate successful moral indoctrination? Or is she forced upon this decision because of laws that are based upon a narrowly derived vision of how people should live?

If I wanted these types of decisions made for me, I'd live in Saudi.