Thursday, November 4

Fuming


Fuming, originally uploaded by bitter apple.

Okay, here it comes. Some brash statements to follow.

I can't take it - just what went wrong on Tuesday? I am hearing all this analysis about the elections, that people cast their vote as a reflection of their 'moral values' rather than real policy issues. Bush and his party support banning abortion and limiting marriage to a union between heterosexuals as part of some divine mandate to establish a 'moral fabric' to build a culture that loves and respects life. This is what people voted for, they aligned with his adminstration's values. So, while banning abortion and gay marriage reflects values that respect life, just what does supporting the NRA mean? I live in fear of you ignorant, loud-mouthed, malt liquored, trigger happy morons. In comparison to what you have done to our freedom, Osama doesn't even come close.

What happened to Americans and their love for freedom?

Pesonally, I am not fond of abortion. I can't really imagine anyone who is 'fond' of the prospect an abortion. I won't be so presumptuous to imagine what a harrowing experience it is, but can safely assume that anyone who has gone through it would not look back and think fondly of it. Personally, I think it isn't right to punish an unborn child for irresponsible behavior. But that's not the point. You see, it doesn't matter what I think. That is the point of freedom, I can't impose my value system upon you. And you can't impose yours upon me. Ultimately, it doesn't affect me or my life if you have an abortion. Nor if a gay couple wants to get married. There are other things that occupy my mind and time. If you are carrying a gun, however, that can have a very serious impact on others' lives. (I know, Kerry doesn't support a gun ban - but the NRA endorsed Bush, enough said.) A reckless and illegal war has very serious, tangible consequences. A stupid and reactionary color-coded 'terror alert system' also has an effect on my life, and having a Muslim name can be a liability in Bush's America.

I've probably been unreasonably harsh here... but why is something that is so obvious overlooked by almost 60m Americans?