Saturday, November 27

Question

I wonder if having dreams about being active and awake actually take away from sleep. Why do I feel tired after waking from such dreams? Is there something to it or is it all in my oversized, apple-shaped head? Or maybe that's just it. Exhaustion and restedness are largely controlled by our minds or-- is it all physical? Am I just responding to the thought of activity by being tired without actually checking the symptoms or am I actually tired? This sort of questioning could suit a lot of problems I have. I mean, how many times have I gotten a headache after thinking 'I'm getting a headache' because I was thinking that or because I was actually due for one? I am in constant awe at how powerful our mind is and how much it controls, but really, it doesn't break arms. How much of life is a self-fulfilling prophecy and how many of our successes and failures are due to conscious responses to events and consequences that take place outside our fantastic brains? I wonder.

Such conundrums occupy my synapses (synapsi?) on test days, and so I thought I'd share this one with you. Maybe writing it here will help me purge the thought and enable me to commit my sparse brainpower to more pressing matters.

Note: I passed my exam, but just barely. I was absolutely convinced I was going to fail because, frankly, I was unprepared and was scoring below par on my practice exams. This doesn't help much in figuring out my question posed above. I guess it doesn't matter, for now anyway. I'm going to go putz around for the rest of the weekend. Later.