Saturday, October 2

Retrospect

Right - enough politics. I am not trying to argue a case for the sake of this blog. I'm actually trying to see what my thoughts look like in writing. I don't know if I'm right, I really don't know if there is such a thing as right (or Truth), but I guess I'm trying to work out the substance of my own conclusions. I've already said that I'm aware I may be supporting a bias, but how do we really know the extent to which our biases skew our worldviews? I don't think acknowledging a bias is enough to be able to claim my conclusions as objective. I know my language was emotional, even confrontational and this has been detrimental to my goal. I've tried to make compelling cases for what I think are objective conclusions, but I don't think that I have succeeded. This is not necessarily because the conclusions are incorrect, but my initial premises are skewed. I'm not taking in the full perspective, rather, I am going on what I 'know'. Now, I'm not sure how to acquire a greater sense of perspective. While there are more than many sides to a story, how does one really come to understand? Obviously we have our own individual experiences, but there has to be a common thread to follow from one door to the next. This is getting too abstract. My point is I need to develop a method to assess my own thought processes. I have no idea where to begin.