Thursday, October 21

Ralph Nader

I don't know about Ralph Nader. Everything I learn about him represents qualities that I want in a leader. He is overwhelmingly stubborn about his candidacy despite so many calls for him to endorse Kerry. I don't think it is about ego. The guy doesn't strike me as egotistical. I think he sees his candidacy as more than a bid for the presidency; he sees it as a fight for democracy. I don't know. Kerry is really not much better than Bush. The 20-something Kerry who spoke out against the Vietnam War showed some promise, but now, he's just as bad as the rest of them. I think maybe having Bush in office for another 4 years won't be all that different from Kerry. Maybe there is a greater battle to be won, maybe supporting Nader will bring us closer to the demise of this two party system. I received this sample ballot in the mail and when I was looking at it, I got a little excited. I'll enjoy not voting for Bush and his council of power-mongering racist shits. But is Kerry all that deserving? He seems a little more, well sane, but he's going to push an agenda similar to Bush's, albeit in a more polite way. Maybe it has to get worse before it gets better. Nader gives credence to the role of a public servant. Did you forget that that's the most fundamental role of the President? I did. He is elected to serve his country. The mainstream candidates are serving themselves. I know these thoughts are disorganized, but I just don't know. Do I vote for Kerry because I hate Bush? Do I vote for Nader for the sake of the system, for another nudge towards a real democratic system where we choose our leaders from more than two viable options? Does it matter?