Wednesday, February 9

Step up

I've just had my arse handed to me on a plate. I tried my hand at Bikram Yoga and survived maybe 20 minutes. The room was heated to 110F and after my initial bout of enthusiasm I found that staying vertical was no longer an option. A dismal failure, but I couldn't bring myself to leave. Instead I lay down for a few minutes then got back up to try again and again my head said no and so back to the ground I went. I stopped being embarrassed about 45 minutes in as I just didn't have a choice, and I realized that I just didn't care what anyone else thought. That was a bit of a release, but still felt like a total wuss. Definitely not was I was expecting as I used to do Vinyasa power yoga in a heated room fairly regularly when I was at university and didn't think that this would be too different. That was in a room at about 80F which is manageable, tonight I just couldn't breathe. It didn't matter that I am running farther and faster than ever, and am becoming stronger than ever in the gym. In there I was a total loss. So now this is my challenge. I'm going to be so proud of myself if I can achieve here and really can't wait to go back. I will drink about 4 litres of water beforehand and bring another 10 with me. I spoke to the instructor on the way out and she said that there is no room for ego in this practice. Now, if you've read anything that I have written you're pretty well aware that my head is pretty far up my own bum. Arrogance is a familiar term and while I know it, I've come to accept it.. vicious circle I suppose. I'd say that is why I have been able to push myself on the treadmill: I always try to use one next to one of the regular runners and push myself to where she is; or outside of fitness, I am always looking for someone better than me who I can learn from. Stupid and petty probably but I wouldn't get anywhere otherwise. The kind of fitness I'd achieve through this would be pretty exciting. In all, at least I won't be bored.